Buy My Book Here

Fox News Ticker

Please check out my new books, "Bullied to Death: Chris Mackney's Kafkaesque Divorce and Sandra Grazzini-Rucki and the World's Last Custody Trial"

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Conservative Blogosphere Vs. Colin Powell

Almost as expected as the endorsement of Barack Obama by Colin Powell was the reaction conservative blogosphere to the endorsement. The snarky condescension was lead by Michelle Malkin.

The media’s in a tizzy over Colin Powell’s Meet the Press endorsement of Barack Obama this morning.

It’s not a surprise to anyone who’s paid attention to his pro-Obama murmurings over the last four months.

How will people outside the Beltway bubble respond?

Yawn.

...

Powell’s embrace of Barack Obama is a triumph of hope over reality. He told Tom Brokaw that Obama’s “steadiness” and “not jumping in and changing every day”
convinced him that The One was ready to lead.

Hello?

...

Guess Powell relied on Obama’s website after he purged his surge criticism from it.
Powell then goes on to pooh-pooh Obama’s longtime “limited relationship” with Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers as an “issue that is not central” to the campaign — just as evidence of the closeness of these two very chummy “neighbors”
mounts.

Judgment, schmudgment, eh, Secretary Powell?


Of course, it only started there.

I doubt Powell’s endorsement will have much effect one way or the other. What I did find interesting was that although Colin Powell said he’s still a
Republican, he would have “difficulty with two more conservative appointments to
the Supreme Court, but that’s what we’d be looking at in a McCain
administration.” Read full story.

That quote makes me seriously question Powell’s sincerity. Of all the criticism of McCain/Palin coming from the right, the appointment of the next one or two Supreme Court Justices is certainly not one of them. As it is, the Democrats are going to have a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, so any extreme right wing nominees will never make it past the confirmation hearings.


I think a consensus is forming.

Big deal? Nah, its just a PR stunt to get himself back in the good graces of the Beltway/Manhattan elite cocktail party circuit besides its been rumored for months. Will it help Obama? I doubt it since the only ones that care, the ObaMSM, are already in the tank for Obama in fact it might hurt him some with his far left anti-war base since it was Powell that gave the infamous WMD speech that set up the war in Iraq. It also take some of the sting out of Obama's attempts to hang the Bush administration around McCain's neck.

There may have also been a bit of payback revenge motive involved as well after he was removed as Sec. of State. He also has worked to undermine President Bush for a few years now most notably when he knew his man Richard Armitage had outed Valerie Plame to Bob Novak but allowed Scooter Libby, Dick Cheney and Karl Rove to take the heat for it. So I say good riddance Obama can have him since he was a pretty lousy and ineffective SoS to begin with.


Now, Ms. Malkin, and the rest of the blogosphere is spending an awful lot of time on an event that none of them think has any significance. Furthermore, there is an awful cynical pyschoanalysis of his motives. The same group that celebrated when Democrat big whig Lynn Forester De Rothschild endorsed John McCain and never once questioned the sincerity of her motives is now looking for any nefarious reason to explain this particular one.

For my money, as far as endorsements go, this one is very important, however endorsements have long stopped being at all relevant. It isn't as though John McCain doesn't have the endorsements of significant Democrats like Ms. Forrester, and so this isn't going to change the dynamic of the race. General Powell has served this nation with nothing but honor and I am not about to question his motives on something as important as this. Nor, will I minimize its importance...at least as far as endorsements go.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

these people are morons. I hope they don't get the house torn down by getting all these fools riled up.

Anonymous said...

People have blogs for what reason? To voice opinion.

Powell is so provocative because Bush appointed him to high office and people thought he (Powell) was conservative. Well, they thought Bush was conservative also.
Anyway, Powell jumped ship in the view of many and they feel he betrayed them.
Politically, I never liked Powell, don't like Obama.
Let the votes be counted.

mike volpe said...

Hey, don't let me stop you from voicing the opinion. It would just be nice if that opinion wasn't so obvious and telegraphed.

I don't think that Powell sees this endorsement as "provocative". I think he sincerely believes that Obama is the best candidate, and I find it absurd and perverse that bloggers question his motives.

As for feeling betrayed, well, I don't know who you think he betrayed but last I checked General Powell has a lifetime of service to his country. In my opinion, he has betrayed no one but rather served the country with honor and courage.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was clear I was indicating that conservatives felt betrayed by Powell's lack of conservatism; I'll attempt to be more clear in the future.
A Republican made Powell a 4star general, another repub made him national security advisor and chairman of the joint chiefs, yet another repub made him secretary of state.
And now he states he would not be comfortable with any more repub appointments to the supreme court. Their judgment was just fine when they were advancing him, of course.

If it is not about race, then what is it about? Obama's having garnered vast experience from 3 years in the senate voting "present", with 2 of those spent campaigning for pres?
Or maybe Powell is a fan of candidates who throw their racist religionist mentors under the bus after 20 years of supposed loyalty? That's it, Powell really admires Obama's complete lack of character!!

I'm a little slow sometimes, but I usually catch on given time!

mike volpe said...

Are you serious? Colin Powell owes the Conservative movement absolutely nothing. Colin Powell is a military man and a proud public servant. He doesn't owe his ideology to anyone and he certainly shouldn't compromise his own belief system because one party over the other helped advance his career. This is absolutely absurd.

Like I said, I will trust that Colin Powell speaks the truth when he says that he believes that Barack Obama is a transformational politician. You can disagree with his assessment, and I do, however questioning his motives is really beyond the pale.

Unknown said...

While I believe race has something to do with his decision, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is his choice and he is free to make it on any terms he feels important. I have never thought Powell was much of a conservative anyway. He always came off as wishy-washy to me. I seem to remember that he actually was against a number of Stormin' Norman's plans during the first Gulf War.

Basically, I am not surprised and it has no effect one way or another on how I will vote. I have never understood someone who will put great weight on the opinion of another when it comes to your vote. That is especially true of anyone from Hollywood!

Anonymous said...

Conservative movement? I said republicans, not conservatives. In fact I stated that "they thought Bush was conservative..."
I suppose you think McCain is conservative as well.

You really should try to follow what is said if you wish to make an appropriate reply.

mike volpe said...

Yeah, he owes the Republicans about as much as the "Conservative movement".

Last I checked, he was an American first, not a Republican. He can endorse who he wants, and I will take the endorsement at face value.