Buy My Book Here

Fox News Ticker

Please check out my new books, "Bullied to Death: Chris Mackney's Kafkaesque Divorce and Sandra Grazzini-Rucki and the World's Last Custody Trial"

Saturday, August 23, 2008

My Funny Experience on the "L"

The "L" is Chicago's train system and it takes its passengers to just about anywhere you like within the city of Chicago. Techically, the "L" is the loop around the business district of Chicago that includes the Sears Tower that the Brown line of the entire system makes. Still, the "L" has been given to the entire train system that services Chicago. One of the things I love about our train system is that you never know what will happen on there. The other night was just one of those moments.

It was fairly late at night and the train was rather sparse. There were only a few passengers on the train with me. I looked back across my shoulder and I noticed a black homeless man sleeping on one of the seats. Suddenly, he woke up and shook his entire body as though he was shaking the proverbial cob webs out of his body. Then, he got up and walked in front of where the train compartments opened and found a new place to sleep. He just dropped on the floor and created a roadblock for anyone that attempted to leave or get on the train.

Within minutes several folks, all black themselves, attempted to revive the homeless guy to no avail. I could overhear one of them allude to the homeless guy "embarrassing us" which I took to mean the race in general. None of their "encouragement" was working and this guy appeared to find a comfortable resting spot. No matter how they screamed at him, attempted to lift him, or even kick him, this homeless man was determined to make the floor his permanent sleeping spot.

Then, one last black guy walked over. He attempted to make the same encouragement. One of other guy that had tried previously came over and told him the homeless guy was beyond help. The guy kept screaming "get up get up". Still, nothing was working. Then, he reached into his pocket and retrieved a couple bucks. Suddenly, he screams


I'll give you a dollar if you get up off the floor
It turned out this homeless guy wasn't actually so knocked out. He immediately jumped up and grabbed the dollar. Then, the other guy said

I'll give you another dollar if you stay off the floor

The homeless guy grabbed the other dollar and walked over to one of the seats where he fell asleep. It turned out everyone has their price. Two dollars seemed to be fairly cheap to restore order to the "L".

I walked over to the guy that made the encouragement as I was leaving the cart and I told him that was one of the coolest moves I had ever witnessed. He gave a very humble aw shucks response and we went our separate ways. Yet, I knew I had a story I would never forget.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss Chicago!!

Good story.

Anonymous said...

We had a guy on the NYC transit who used to come on and sing. He'd go through the car collecting coins afterward-it was ok. So this one day there was another guy right behind him at the next stop and he starts singing too. A European accented voice from out of the crowd yells "Ve alreddy hed a singer-can you dance?"

Anonymous said...

seems like a pretty smart homeless guy!

mike volpe said...

enterprising at least.

Anonymous said...

hi there can u add me on your link list

add this Seo Bicol and the url is http://benjiedelatorre.wordpress.com

I hope you will add me
comment back to my blog just click Seo Bicol and leave your url so i can add you on my link list thanks